This guide will explain the steps to solve Unknown error has occurred error in the Downloader app.
Loading new apps on your Fire TV or FireStick device is usually a simple and straightforward process. There are several simple methods you can use, but most Fire device owners prefer the Downloader app.
The Downloader app is free software available on the Amazon App Store that allows you to download and install any compatible file directly onto your Fire TV. No browser required, just enter the URL and you’re good to go.
While the downloader experience is usually foolproof, there is one bug that some users come across from time to time. If you can’t get Downloader to install your apk files, this guide will show how to resolve the “Unknown Error has occurred – Check your URL” error on Fire TV.
How to fix the unknown error has occurred
First-time users of the Downloader app are allowed to get the frustrating “Please check your URL” error immediately upon starting the software. Don’t worry, it’s easy to fix and should only take a few moments of your time. Then it’s back to streaming!
What is causing the ” Unknown error has occurred ” problem?
The “Unknown Error has occured” message that the Downloader app often pass to new users is just the way the app says it can’t access parts of the Fire TV’s file structure that are needed to complete the request. This is directly related to permissions, which Fire TV treats slightly differently than other Android apps. There is really no way to prevent this from happening. So if you run into the problem, just use the quick fix below and get back to the sideload.
Best way to fix the Unknown error has occurred for Downloader
- First, exit all apps and return to the Fire TV Home Menu .
- Go to Settings, scroll right in the text menu at the top and select Applications icon. I
- nside, select Manage Installed Applications, then move down until you see the entry for Downloader .
- Open the Downloader menu item and scroll down. You will see a list named Clear Data .
- Enable it and confirm your choice.
- Exit the settings screen and restart Downloader.
- You can simply go back to the menu and click “Launch Application” or return to the start screen and start from there.
Fire TV should throw a confirmation window at the bottom of the screen when you open the downloader after clearing the data. Select “Allow” When you see the below message, continue using Downloader as normal. You should be able to get and install apks without errors.
If you continue to have problems after following the steps above, there are two more things you can try. The first is to uninstall Downloader and reinstall it in the AppStore. To do this:
- Navigate to “Settings” and scroll right until you reach the Applications icon.
- Open it, choose the Downloader entry , then go down and choose Uninstall .
- Confirm in the following window. Then return to the App Store by navigating to Apps> Categories> Utilities .
- Scroll down until you see Downloader then reinstall it .
If both of the above methods fail, restart your Fire TV:
- Go to the Settings menu, scroll right at the top of the main screen and select Device .
- Go down until you see the Restart option .
- Confirm and your Fire TV will restart automatically.
Another common downloader problem – file cannot be installed
Users may experience some other problems with Downloader, the most persistent error of which is “Unable to install”. If you entered a URL and Downloader retrieved the file but cannot install it, please follow the steps below to resolve the issue.
First of all, you need to uninstall the downloader app .
- Return to the Fire TV home screen and select the Settings option at the top.
- Scroll right until you reach the Applications icon.
- Open it and then go to Downloader entry and select it. (Note: you can skip this step if you see the Downloader icon on the main screen. Just press the menu button on your remote (the one with the three horizontal lines) and select in the small window that is in the lower corner of the Screen opens, the option “Uninstall”.)
Fire TV gives you several options for managing the downloader’s data. All in all, we’re going to choose Uninstall . In the window that opens, confirm that your device will uninstall the downloader app in a few seconds.
Next, when the old app is out of the way, head back to the main settings menu. Scroll right and select the device icon and then select Developer Options . Now you will want to set “Apps from Unknown Sources” to “ON” . That way, the Fire TV operating system can install content that isn’t on the App Store, and it’s the main source for all of your downloader problems.
Now it’s time to reinstall the downloader app .
- Return to the App Store by navigating the top menu icons, then select Categories> Utilities .
- Scroll until you see the orange downloader icon and install it right away.
- Launch the app and you should be able to download content without any errors.
How to download with the downloader from the site
After fixing the “Check URL” error, add some new apps to your Fire TV! Downloader is one of the easiest ways to load pages. In seconds, you can install new streaming sources, apps, utilities, games, and more
Install and use the downloader
When you need to sideload something, you can have it on your Fire TV in just seconds, thanks to Downloader. Just follow the steps below to get started.
- Find the file you want to upload to your Fire TV. You need a direct url to the file in order to use it. So make sure that it ends with .apk. Alternatively, you can use the downloader’s built-in browser to search the web for apk files to download.
- Install Downloader to your Fire TV. Find it on the AppStore, search the Utilities category, or submit it from the web using the previous link.
- Open the downloader and select the URL field in the middle of the screen.
- Enter the url to your APK file exactly as it appears.
- Once the link is complete, click the Go button below. The downloader will immediately begin retrieving the file.
- When the download is complete, the downloader should prompt you to install the file . You can do this now or select the Files section when you are ready.
- That’s it! Access your sideloaded app anytime from the Fire TV main menu.
Other Downloader functions
Not just downloadind and installing apks, the downloader has some other useful features. For starters, the software comes with its own rudimentary web browser. It doesn’t offer much of the power or unique features, but you can search the web for files that you can download without turning on your PC. This is best used with a bluetooth keyboard and / or mouse as the remote control is a bit of a hassle when navigating through the browser.
The favorites menu is another great feature in Downloader. To use it, open the menu section and paste a link in the blank box. Now you can download a file without entering the URL. This is ideal for getting new versions of content that is in the same location from version to version.
Is sideloading safe? Is it legal
Apps like Downloader and apps2fire let you download a compatible Android app to your Fire TV or Fire Stick device. As long as you received the files legally. For example, if you bought something from Google Play or used free apps, you’re not breaking any rules to get content onto your device. After all, it’s yours. So where is the damage?
Sideloading is also completely safe to do. Amazon didn’t put any barriers between you and the Fire TV operating system. There is no need to root, jailbreak, or make changes to the actual hardware to install separate programs. Just install the content using the downloader or one of the apps mentioned above. There’s no risk of permanently damaging your Fire TV or Fire Stick.
Downloader is one of the most useful apps for Fire TV. Not only is it safe and easy to use, it opens the door to a wide variety of third-party and site-wide applications, all without complicated hardware or software setups. With the downloader you just enter the URL and start downloading, plain and simple. Most users don’t even have an “unknown error” problem. In this case, troubleshooting is so simple that you can do it with in a matter of minutes.