Do you dream of making money from your YouTube videos? Do you want to turn your passion into a profitable business? If so, you need to know about YouTube monetization and how it can help you achieve your goals.
YouTube is one of the most popular platforms for online content creation, with over two billion users every day. If you have a YouTube channel and want to make money from your videos, you need to know how to monetize your content effectively. In this article, I will show you the ultimate guide to YouTube monetization in 2023, including the requirements, the methods, and the best practices.
What Is YouTube Monetization, and How Does It Work?
YouTube monetization means earning revenue from your YouTube videos. The main way to do this is through the YouTube Partner Program (YPP), which allows you to display ads on your videos and get paid for them. To join the YPP, you need to meet the following criteria:
- Have at least 1,000 subscribers
- Have at least 4,000 hours of watch time in the past 12 months
- Live in a country that has access to the program
- Have a linked Google AdSense account
- Follow YouTube’s monetization policies
Once you are accepted into the YPP, you can choose what types of ads you want to show on your videos, such as skippable or non-skippable ads, overlay ads, or sponsored cards. You will earn money based on the number of views and clicks on your ads, as well as the type and quality of your ads.
How to Make Money on YouTube Besides Ads?
Ads are not the only way to make money on YouTube. There are many other ways to monetize your content, depending on your niche, audience, and goals. Here are some of the most popular ones:
- Affiliate marketing: This is when you promote a product or service from another company and earn a commission for each sale or action that comes from your referral link. You can use platforms like Amazon Associates or ShareASale to find affiliate products that are relevant to your content and audience. You can also use tools like vidIQ¹ to find out what products other YouTube creators are promoting in your niche.
- Influencer marketing: This is when you collaborate with brands or businesses that want to reach your audience and pay you for promoting their products or services. You can use platforms like FameBit or AspireIQ to find influencer marketing opportunities that match your channel and interests. You can also reach out to brands directly and pitch them your ideas for sponsored videos.
- Channel memberships: This is when you offer exclusive perks and benefits to your loyal fans who pay a monthly fee to join your channel. You can create different levels of membership with different prices and rewards, such as badges, emojis, shoutouts, live chats, behind-the-scenes videos, etc. To enable channel memberships, you need to have at least 10,000 subscribers and be in the YPP.
- Content licensing: This is when you sell the rights to use your videos to other media outlets or platforms that want to feature your content. You can use platforms like Jukin Media or Newsflare to upload your videos and get paid when they are licensed by other parties. You can also negotiate directly with potential buyers who contact you through email or social media.
- YouTube Shorts Fund: This is a new program that YouTube launched in 2021 to reward creators who make short-form videos (up to 60 seconds) using the YouTube Shorts feature. YouTube will distribute $100 million among eligible creators who make original and engaging Shorts that attract viewers. To be eligible, you need to have at least 10,000 subscribers and follow YouTube’s community guidelines.
- YouTube Premium revenue: This is when you earn money from YouTube Premium subscribers who watch your videos without ads. YouTube Premium is a subscription service that offers ad-free viewing, offline downloads, background play, and access to YouTube Music and YouTube Originals. You will get a share of the YouTube Premium revenue based on how much watch time your videos get from Premium subscribers.
- Selling online courses: This is when you create and sell educational or informational courses based on your expertise or skills. You can use platforms like Teachable or Udemy to host and sell your courses online. You can also use tools like Thinkific or Kajabi to create your own website and landing page for your courses. You can use your YouTube videos as a way to showcase your knowledge and attract potential students.
- Selling merchandise: This is when you create and sell physical or digital products related to your brand or niche. You can use platforms like Shopify or WooCommerce to set up your own online store and sell products like t-shirts, mugs, stickers, ebooks, etc. You can also use tools like Teespring or Spreadshop to create and sell custom merchandise directly on YouTube.
- Super chat and super stickers: This is when you enable your viewers to pay for sending you highlighted messages or animated stickers during your live streams or premieres. You can use this feature to interact with your fans, answer their questions, or thank them for their support. To enable super chat and super stickers, you need to have at least 1,000 subscribers and be in the YPP.
- Crowdfunding: This is when you ask your viewers to donate money to support your channel or a specific project. You can use platforms like Patreon or Buy Me a Coffee to create a membership or subscription service where your fans can support you on a monthly or one-time basis. You can also use platforms like Kickstarter or Indiegogo to raise funds for a specific goal or product.
How to Increase Views on Your YouTube Videos?
To make money on YouTube, you need to have views on your videos. The more views you have, the more revenue you can generate from ads and other methods. However, getting views on YouTube is not easy, especially with the high competition and the ever-changing algorithm. Here are some tips to help you increase your views on YouTube:
- Optimize your videos for SEO: SEO stands for search engine optimization, which means making your videos more visible and relevant to the users who are searching for them. You can optimize your videos for SEO by using keywords, titles, descriptions, tags, thumbnails, and hashtags that match what your target audience is looking for. You can use tools like Google Keyword Planner or TubeBuddy² to find and analyze the best keywords for your videos.
- Create high-quality and engaging content: Content is king on YouTube, and you need to create videos that are valuable, entertaining, informative, or educational for your viewers. You need to have a clear purpose and goal for each video, and deliver it in a way that captures and holds your viewers’ attention. You also need to have good production quality, such as sound, lighting, editing, etc.
- Be consistent and upload frequently: Consistency is key on YouTube, and you need to upload videos regularly and stick to a schedule. This will help you build trust and loyalty with your audience, as well as boost your channel’s authority and ranking on YouTube. You should aim to upload at least one video per week, or more if possible.
- Promote your videos on social media and other platforms: Promotion is essential on YouTube, and you need to spread the word about your videos and channel on other platforms where your potential viewers are. You can use social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok, etc., to share your videos and drive traffic to your channel. You can also use platforms like Reddit, Quora, Medium, etc., to share your videos and provide value to relevant communities.
- Engage with your audience and other creators: Engagement is crucial on YouTube, and you need to interact with your viewers and other creators in your niche. You can engage with your audience by responding to their comments, asking them questions, creating polls, hosting live streams, etc. You can also engage with other creators by collaborating with them, featuring them in your videos, commenting on their videos, etc.
YouTube monetization is a great way to make money from your passion and creativity. However, it is not easy or quick, and it requires a lot of hard work and dedication. You need to follow the rules and requirements of YouTube, choose the best methods for monetizing your content, and optimize your videos for getting more views. By following the tips and suggestions in this article, you can achieve YouTube monetization in 2023 and grow your channel successfully. Thank you for reading this article 😊